Let’s take a look at what commercial projects are now underway, and what we anticipate in the early months of the new year.
What projects are now underway
- Holiday Inn Express – 82 rooms at Shoppes on the Ridge II, near Home Depot on US 27 North.
- Bank of America building downtown- 2nd and 3rd floor build-out and rear parking area re-surfaced, with landscaping.
- Walgreen’s – nearing completion at the corner Thompson Nursery Road and US 27 North, is part of a commercial center to be known as Willowbrook Square. The center will include a 7-11 convenience store and a bank.
- Polk County Health Department – new building on Central Ave. West, behind I-Hop.
- UPS expansion – The building just off SR 60 near the Crazy Fish Restaurant has been expanded and the parking lot and retention pond are now being finished.
- Lake Wales Hospital – Wings B & C are being renovated to include 32 suites, with meeting rooms and multi-purpose rooms. The projected value for the project is $2,600,000.00.
- Gate Petroleum gas station– at Shoppes on the Ridge II, US 27 North.
- Dr. Pass Medical Offices – a two story, 16,477 square foot building, located at SR 60 and 13th Street.
- Water’s Edge Independent/Assisted Living Facility – 159 units are under construction at this new life care facility near the intersection of SR 60 and 1st St. S.
- Carwash – SR 60 at 2nd St., renovation of a former gas station.
- Polk Community College – renovation of former City Hall to provide a new branch campus to include 6 classrooms, 1 Community room/class room on the first floor, administrative offices(4), and support areas for the building. The new campus will be open for classes in January.
- Offices and Loft Apartments - downtown in the Bullard building at the corner of Stuart Ave and Scenic Highway.
- Airport – the re-building of the airport is nearly complete. New hangers, both t-hangers and corporate hangers, are finished, and the Fixed Based Operator building is nearing completion.
- New restaurant- “Lil Chambrots Diner” is coming into the space at Central and Phillips formerly occupied by Havana Nights.
What we anticipate
- Shoppes on the Ridge Phase II – completion of 67,000 square feet in-line shopping and 4 additional out-parcels on US 27 N, between the Publix center and Home Depot.
- ABC Liquor – to be built on an out-parcel at Lowe’s.
- New medical offices – 11th St. across from hospital.
- Peace Creek Promenade – Just North of the Hampton Inn and Suites on US 27 N, 240,000 square feet of commercial space.
- Topper’s Creamery – SR 60 next to Suntrust Bank.
- Grand Hotel – At the December 2 meeting the CRA will be asked to approve the prioritized list of developers who responded to the “request for proposals”, and appoint a committee to negotiate a contract for the conveyance and renovation of the hotel building downtown.
- Race Trac gas station – US 27 N across from Wendy’s.
- Walker Building on Lincoln Ave.- a group is seeking to renovate this building for a professional office upstairs and apartments downstairs. There would also be an office space downstairs for the police sub-station, which currently works out of the B Street Center.
- Medical Offices – Renovation is proposed for an existing building on US 27 North.